Operation Maths A: At School Book
Operation Maths is a new, exciting and original primary maths programme, with fully integrated digital resources. A ground-breaking maths programme, it has been developed specifically for the Irish market to meet the needs of primary schools, teachers and pupils.
For the first time, an Irish maths programme places understanding, problem-solving and active learning at its heart, introducing a range of suitable strategies, approaches and tools to encourage engagement. Operation Maths focuses on the acquisition and development of mathematical skills, as outlined in the Primary school curriculum. With the confident guidance of their teacher, children will discover the joy and fun in mathematical thinking, open-ended questioning, estimating, problem-solving, rationalising, collaborating and ultimately understanding.
Features of the Junior Infant books
- A significant emphasis has been placed on collaborative learning with multiple opportunities for children to learn from one another through engaging in Pair Work.
- Problem-solving is at the heart of this programme, with dedicated problem-solving pages throughout.
- Many children struggle with the formation of numerals. A stencil is provided to assist the children with this key learning objective.
- The use of five frames is extensive, and a laminated five frame is also provided with the At School Book. Children can use counters with their five frames for an active learning experience and a visual image of the composition of number. This leads to increased ability in mental maths.
- The At School Book includes self-assessment: when the children complete a page, they colour the star if they feel their work merits it.
- The Try This! feature can be used for early finishers and for differentiation.
- There is a strong focus on the revision of concepts for a range of learning styles, which is a cornerstone in mathematical learning.
- Mini whiteboards accompany the series to promote whole-class participation.