The Merchant of Venice
This new edition of The Merchant of Venice includes the complete text of the play and detailed notes, analysis and commentary to help students to understand themes, character development and more. This new edition has been designed specifically to meet the needs of the New Junior Cycle and it contains striking photographs from various productions of this much-loved play.
Each scene is accompanied by:
- Introductory plot summary
- Study questions
- Key points and useful quotes
- A talking point, highlighting issue raised by the play.
A special section is devoted to:
- Exploration of major themes and context
- Detailed analysis of plot
- In-depth character and relationship analysis
- Exam tips.
The book also includes:
- Overall summary and a revision quiz at the end of each Act
- Examination-based questions, carefully graded for Higher and Ordinary Level
- Guidelines on answering examination questions
- Model answers to questions
- Useful diagrams which make clear the relationships between characters
- Assignments to encourage class participation.
This edition presents an active approach to studying Shakespeare, treating the text as a play to be performed and encouraging students to imagine it on stage or screen.